Monday, January 19, 2009

Do These Things...And Customers Will Come

Since I'm new at my business gig, I'm doing a lot of reading online and getting advice. I'm sifting through the information, and finding out what makes sense to me. I watched a video segment on American Express Open the other day and the following points really resonated with me so I thought I'd share them with you...


1. Take things one step at a time. That works well for me, especially trying to balance the demands of being a mom and a business owner who is in the start-up phase. Sometimes focusing on the big picture becomes too overwhelming and a knot forms in your stomach (maybe that's just me?!). But if you take one step at a time...chances are you'll get where you need to be. Set a few goals for the day and be able to cross them off your list by the time your head hits the pillow at night. Beyond that, think about where you want your business to be in one year, three years, five years.


2. Figure out crowdsourcing. Essentially it means getting your audience to work for you. But it's a win win situation. Users are happy to share their knowledge, designs, and opinions when asked. As a business owner, you can get much needed feedback on your product offerings, pricing, ease of use, without having to conduct expensive research.


4. Reach one customer at a time. Don't think about having the next million dollar idea. Make each customer experience a good one and chances are customers will talk about that good experience and send others your way.


5. Viral Marketing Is Key. In the past we've called it "word of mouth" marketing. Make sure your customers are really happy and they will tell all their friends about your business/product/website. This works especially well with kids doesn't it?! I can't tell you how many products my kids say they "need" because their friends have it and love "it".


6. Create Tools for People to Spread the Word. People love being heard and rewarded. Ask users for feedback. Also, offer free items through contests or gift giveaways, or coupons that can be redeemed on your site, or highlight users on your site. On http://www.design-girls.com/, I post pictures of girls in the outfits that they've created (with parent permission of course!) and they get so excited for this opportunity.


7. If You Host a Great Party, People Will Come! If you give customers something they will remember, they will want to come back. Not only will they want to come back and spend more money with you, but they will direct friends your way as well.

1 comment:

Kristen Andrews said...

Great tips Tanya, it is tough when you first open up a biz and then try balancing it w/ being home w/ your kiddos. You have a great biz, I so wish I had a little girl!